Divisions and Laboratories
Studies and research are conducted in 6 divisions and 20 laboratories of the Lorraine Centre in a wide variety of areas covering almost all occupational risks, from toxic risks to physical and psychosocial risks. These activities are conducted by researchers, engineers, physicians, technicians, chemists, toxicologists, ergonomists, etc.
The aim of works of the Pollutants Metrology Department relates to the prevention of occupational diseases. They mainly concern the development and validation of methods and techniques for the assessment and characterization of occupational exposure to gaseous pollutants and aerosols of chemical and biological agents in the atmosphere of workplaces.
- Metrology of exposure to organic pollutants
- Risk and exposure assessment
- Laboratory for inorganic analysis and characterization of aerosols
- Aerosol metrology
The mission of the "Process Engineering" department is to research, study and promote prevention solutions in response to problems of exposure to toxic agents in their various forms (gas, liquid, solid or aerosol). The department favors upstream technical prevention solutions that will lead to a control of the source of pollution.
- Spatial and temporal analyses of chemical exposures
- Aeraulic engineering
- Process and purification of pollutants
The Toxicology and Biomonitoring division takes part in many projects in cancerology, reprotoxicology, immunotoxicology, neuro & ototoxicity, dermal absorption and in biomonitoring. The researchers of the division work in laboratories with in vivo, in vitro, and in silico models, and in factories to collect biological samples from workers. Its missions are to identify deleterious effects of chemicals, noise or combined exposures, as well as to prevent risks encountered by workers.
- Biomonitoring Laboratory
- Carcinogenesis, Mutagenesis and Reprotoxicity, Laboratory
- Immunology, Sensitization and Allergy laboratory
- Ototoxicity and Neurotoxicity laboratory
- Toxicokinetics, Inhalation and Percutaneous absorption laboratory
The activities of the Work Equipment Engineering division are aimed at the prevention of the occupational diseases due to physical nuisances (noise, vibrations, and radiation) as well as at the prevention of accidents due to machines, automated systems and tools.
- Workplace acoustics
- Electromagnetism, Vibration, Optics
- Safe Design. Protection and Human-Machine Interfaces
- Safety of work equipment and automated systems
The activities of the working life division focus on the analysis of real human activity at work for occupational health and safety purposes. They concern physiological and psychological stress and strains, organizational aspects of work and prevention and are based on companies’ practices and on laboratory experiments.
- Preventive Ergonomics and Occupational Psychology Lab
- Occupational Safety and Health Management Lab
- Physiology, Movement and Work
This division conducts epidemiological studies aimed at highlighting deteriorations in health and occupational injuries due to working environments, occupational exposures to substances, or psychosocial factors. The studies carried out examine respiratory and cardiovascular pathologies, allergies, cancers, musculoskeletal disorders, reproductive disorders, disorders related to psychosocial factors, or occupational injuries. The division also conducts evaluative studies. The various studies can require appropriate statistics methods to be developed internally.